There was an explosion at the Fukushima plant and hence began a fight to contain what could be the worst nuclear disaster in the world so far.
Radiation was the word on everyones lips. How far was it reaching and what was the real danger. No one really knew. One 'expert' said it was imminent - the plant would reach meltdown and the radiation would spread fast. Another said there was no reason to panic. It was hard to know who to believe and what action to take myself.
We were based just south of Tokyo - about 210miles south of Fukushima. So in theory any radiation that reached us would be diluted by wind and air etc.
After a lot of thought and consideration, I decided I needed to leave in order to keep myself safe. I offered to go with the babies somewhere if the family wanted to get them out. They decided against this.
So my flight was booked and I left Japan on the 18th March, just one week after the earthquake. and a month after arriving in the country. I cut short my contract by 6 weeks and left the babies with their parents and grandparents.
It was such a relief to get out, although I feel huge guilt about leaving the babies. I have avoided watching the news for a week and I guess now it is time to get back into the real world.
Time to look for a contract to replace the one I left...