Thursday, April 25, 2013

Turtles and Tortoises!

While I've been helping out with the turtle hatching over the last week or so, I've had many opportunities to see things I wouldn't have imagined seeing before.  It amazes me how exceptionally strong and able these tiny creatures are the moment they are hatched.
The three we released yesterday
Yesterday, the Travencore hatched as already mentioned.  We give it water a couple of times a day and it drinks very happily.  It's yolk has nearly been absorbed and so his belly is not so swollen and soft.  It is a feisty wee thing - won't stay still for long and fights to be let go if picked up (to put in the water. etc).  I suspect this tortoise will go far!
The Travencore drinking water
You can still see the egg tooth on it's nose
Also while checking one of the batches of eggs, I saw a tiny movement so I investigated further.  An Indian Black turtle had just broken its shell.  So it now has a night in the cupboard to complete the hatch - hopefully before I get there in the morning!
The Indian Black turtle

No comments: