Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Home again, home again joggety jog...

I arrived back in Auckland last Tuesday - a week today, but I stayed the night there and went on a wee visit to Butterfly Creek again to see the croc keepers there.

It was my first night with feather pillows and a divinely comfortable bed - soft in all the right places!  I also had my first proper hot shower in 3 months.  At the croc bank we only had room temperature water so even though the water was mostly about 30-35ºC, it was coolish compared to air temperature.  I never complained though as having cool showers was a necessity of life in the oven that was Chennai!  Directly after a shower, I'd sweat and getting dry enough to put clothes on was not a very activity.

The bliss of having a hot shower and getting dry and dressed with no problems was indeed a moment of note in the history of Jenn.  It took a few days to get used to hot showers though - even though they are vital here.  No one in their right mind would have a cool shower when it is 0ºC outside…

Arriving at Kuala Lumpur on the way home.
On Wednesday I arrived back in Queenstown with not one item of winter clothing to my name.  In a word "Brrrrrr".  I was losing up to 40ºC from the last week in India.  A shock to say the least!

Luckily I had pre-warned mum and she arrived with a warm jacket, scarf, hat and gloves.  I had suggested she just bring me a feather duvet, but the jacket etc was probably much easier with seat belts and carseats in mind.  It wasn't too bad, overcast but mild, thankfully.

Lucy lit the fire when we arrived home and we had leek and potato soup with toast for dinner.  Perfect! 

I've been in NZ a week today and time is passing quickly and quite sneakily!  I have to make a plan for the next few months and then another for the medium term…  If anyone has any bright ideas of new and exciting careers that require little effort on my part, do get in touch!  

No comments: