Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The hill from hell

I've been on a mission to get into shape and I was going to hire an exercycle because I'm in this job (in one place) for 12 weeks. I thought it would be a good chance to get some regular exercise as this is the one thing I find difficult in my job. Some days I don't even manage to get outdoors let alone take a good walk.

But, I discovered the need for a device to exercise on may not be necessary after I arrived here and discovered the hill I have to walk up to get to the house... I thought to myself I could save a few pennies and get fit!

So instead, as often as possible - still not every day but certainly most - I put the boys into their pram and go for a walk. It does not need to be a long walk as right on my doorstep is the hill from hell. It's short but steep and boy do I know when I've walked it!

I go down and do any shopping or chores that need doing then take a deep breath and walk up the hill, I then turn around and walk down again. Then another bracing breath and up again. So far it's only twice, but I think I may be ready for another run this week. I have to say it must look quite 'interesting' watching me. While people huff and puff up the hill, I overtake them pushing a huge double pram with 2 babies on board. I then turn at the top and do it all over again! I do huff and puff myself, but I'm lucky in that at the top of the hill I can hide in my front yard and do my breath catching in private!

The other day, I went on a small marathon walk with the babies and walked a few miles (who knows how many!??). To get home I walked through Primrose Hill which is a lovely park set on a hill, as you may have guessed. Before I got there I thought I would head home via the 'home' hill thinking I wouldn't have had enough of a work out by then. How wrong could I be! Primrose Hill lives up to it's name and the hill I walked up was much longer but as steep in places as the 'home' hill. I was in a major sweat by time I got to the top but the view over London was wonderful.

I went home the easy way instead.

No comments: