Thursday, March 28, 2013

Melting moments

I have been in Chennai, southern India (about 45 minutes south of Chennai) for 5 days and I cannot believe how hot it is!  The days are not as humid as the nights oddly.  In a way it is better that way as working in 96% humidity wouldn't be fun.  But then again, trying to sleep in 96% humidity is a challenge in itself.

But to be honest, although I moan about the heat, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now.  I am spending about 6-7 weeks as a volunteer at  Madras Crocodile Bank Trust.  It is an incredible place dedicated to the conservation and survival of reptiles  - especially crocodiles.  Hence me being here!

This morning I got to dig up a nest of eggs laid by a gharial.  I never thought I would have this sort of opportunity, and to be so hands on is just mind blowing!

This afternoon was not quite so glamourous (if collecting eggs could be called glam??).  We cleaned out an enclosure that has 6 turtles in it.  They are 2 different species and both endangered, one critically.  They were surprised to find their water disappearing, and while they could, they hid below in the dirty water.

We scrubbed and scrubbed until all the walls and the floor of the water area was clean.  There was a massive amount of algae growing so it was a big job.  We decided that if we did this every day we would look like muscle builders within a week or two!  This was definitely a melting moment in the afternoon heat!  The best part was getting in the cold shower afterwards and cleaning all the algae off myself!

Yesterday I got to feed a large pair of African slender snouted crocodiles.  They have been taught to come to the tapping of a stick while calling their names stick.  They touch the stick with their snout.  We then rub their nose with the stick and they open their mouth and we throw a fish in.  It's a pretty amazing experience!

Feeding the juveniles in the nursery is also exciting.  We start by sorting fish into sizes (I think there is about 500kg of fish??)  we get tiny fish for the babies and medium fish for the medium crocs and big fish for the big crocs and then the remainder gets thrown into the mugger enclosures and they finish it off!  We wash the fish and take it into the nursery and throw the fish to each gharial just beside their snout so they can grab it.  These guys have serious teeth!  But they are one of the most beautiful crocs in my eyes.


No comments: