Thursday, May 03, 2007

Singapore, egg sandwiches and home

I AM SO HAPPY TO BE HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

A bit of change in scene has occurred...

I just spent 3 nights in Singapore and wished I'd had 3 times that as I did not get through as much as I'd hoped.

I got in late Friday night after a less then 5 hour flight - remind me to live in Perth when (if) I decide to live on that side of the world again - and went straight to my hotel and slept until 10am next morning.

Woke hungry so went for a wander to one the many shopping malls nearby and found a food court that sold real food. Such a surprise after spending 2 months in Australia with mall food courts that sold nothing but synthetic food! Had a lovely breakfast (waffles - couldn't face noodles) and then went back to prepare myself for an afternoon of bliss...

I'm beginning to believe that if there is a croc farm within 100km radius I will find it! As was the case here. I was reading the phone book at bedtime the night before (as you do!!). It had a great tourist section and in my flipping of pages, I saw a word that looked like 'croc'. I went back through the pages with a fine tooth comb and sure enough Tan Moh Hong Croc Farm was there in a small ad (unseeable to the common folk...)

I actually found 2 croc farms, but one has closed due to financial reasons. When I asked a woman at Tan Moh Hong, she said it was because they had to buy land and set it up from nothing, but her boss had had croc's since 1945 and had set up in his back yard - I kid you not!

So on the MRT (underground) and a bus I went. I got on the bus with a $2.00 note thinking I would be able to get change, but the driver looked at me as if I were a foreigner or something. I had nothing smaller (I thought I was doing well to have $2 when many $50 bills were spat out at the ATM) and a very nice man gave him the .90 cents I needed. When I tried to give the man my $2 he wouldn't take it.

I arrived at the croc farm and very quickly understood why this one had survived. It was without a doubt set up in this man's back yard. A space MUCH smaller then the average Kiwi backyard and a few concrete enclosures with a few unfortunate crocs. If I wasn't happy just to be seeing croc's I would be horrified. I am pretty shocked that this place can continue to hold animals as dangerous as these when there are so many neighbours and so few safety measures. I'm sure the local kids must have the odd dare to see who can retrieve the ball from the enclosure...



I spent most of my time in the shop (more things to look at in there) and found an area with lots of info panels all hand drawn and coloured. There was also a taxidermy skull that no one was allowed to touch as the croc had died only 6 months earlier so the chemicals were too fresh. As nasty as it was, I was thrilled to be feeding my addiction!!

Later that night I caught a bus to the Singapore Zoo. They are the first place in the world to offer what they call a 'Night Safari'. It was incredible and I'm so pleased I went. I jumped on a little train and it takes about 40-50 minutes to go a full circuit. There is a guide who tells you where to look and tries desperately to add a bit of drama to the whole thing too. It made me laugh several times. But it was amazing to see so many animals so relaxed and calm under very 'gentle' lighting compared to the usual zoo scene with tigers pacing, shy animals hiding as far away from the hoards and never a sight of anything nocturnal. I met up with a mother and daughter originally from Zimbabwe and we enjoyed the evening together. They reminded me a lot of mum and me. So much so that the daughter made up some story to a willing steward and we went around on he train again - for free. Apparently 'our' mother had a sore foot and couldn't do much walking... Hehe, I liked her even more after that!!!

They invited me to join them the next day for 'high tea' at the Raffles Hotel. It was so nice and the egg sandwiches were without a doubt the best I have ever eaten! I drank about 4 cups of lovely coffee then ordered a Singapore Sling - it had to be done as it was 'invented' by a barman at Raffles a few decades ago. It has a list of spirits too long to list (or remember) but was very very nice! Lots of little men running around replacing cutlery and folding napkins... A 'must do' next time you're in Singapore.

I floated back to the hotel about 6.30 to pack my bags as I was to leave at 6am the following morning. I got about 10 minutes in and thought 'what the heck am I doing?' I still have a whole night ahead of me and Little India will not close until the last person leaves... It was great. Sunday is the only day (or night) off for most foreign labourers so Little India bulges at the seams for a few hours every Sunday evening. (Indians being one of the main nationalities of foreign employees). There is a shopping mall called Mustafa that is several floors of bargains. All the products for sale looked genuine (as opposed to the fakes usually seen in such places) and I could have filled several bags (bought here of course) with cheap toiletries, clothing, shoes, sports gear and so much more.

I'm going to have to go back and see some more of Singapore one day (and take an empty suitcase too), it is an amazing place.

I flew home yesterday and felt so happy to be back on familiar soil. This is so truly home for me. Bless Her Majesty's wee cotton socks.

No comments: