Thursday, May 03, 2007

A wedding, a birthday and North Shore Hospital

What a few weeks!!

I went to Brisbane and saw my old friend Pauline again, we went to Australia Zoo which was great. I then stayed with Frank - a chef I worked with in Mapua. We went on a little tiki tour for a look around and lunch. I went out the next day as the scenery had been so beautiful I knew I would need to spend a day with my camera.

I saw cattle and cattle egrets by the 100. They were very like our white heron but shorter and stockier. I went to a place called Mooball which took my fancy. I recommend a visit one day if only for the paint job!! And of course a wee wee at the moo moo is a must!

Back to Sydney and met up with Jane and Lisa from New York. We were staying at a hotel in the west of Sydney and celebrating Dan (Jane's brother) and Trina's wedding day on the Saturday. It was a fantastic day although poor Sue (Jane's mum) woke me at 7.30am on the morning to tell me she had a tummy bug. So I was up and off to the pharmacy by 8am.

The wedding was really lovely. It bought a tear to my eye, they make such a wonderful couple. During the dinner, Sue was seated behind me and I heard a noise just after our main had been served. When I turned, I saw Sue trying to gasp for breath, her lips blue and
in a state of panic. Larry (her ex) had tried the heimlich manoeuvre but to no avail so somehow I pushed in and tried but to no avail again. All I could think was this woman is not dying at her sons wedding so I got in position again and gave it all I had! Poor Sue, she started coughing (and breathing). I spent the next several minutes apologising for the sore gut that she would have later. Better a sore tummy then the alternative... Both Sue and I managed to be reseated in time for dessert.

The next day we moved out of the hotel to a small apartment that my client had kindly arranged for Jane, Lisa and me. On Monday we were meeting with lots of the family to celebrate Sue's 60th birthday lunch. It was a a really nice afternoon. Afterwards Jane, Lisa and I went on a ferry around the harbour and then home. We got some dinner to take home only to find we had no pots or bowls to use on the stove or in the microwave. Interesting dinners over the next couple of days!!

I got a text first thing Tuesday morning to say that Sue had fallen and was in hospital. We went out to the hospital and found poor Sue in a pretty bad state. She had broken her little finger and dislocated it and banged her face quite badly too. She was in heaps of pain. Later that day she had surgery to sort out the finger and was much more comfortable.

So much for all the sightseeing we had planned, but I can tell you where to find emergency and ward 8D at North Shore. We did manage to fit a ferry trip to Manly but caught the bus back from there directly to the hospital...

Jane and Lisa flew out and I went back to the apartment to await the arrival of my friend Greg who was in the process of driving over from Kalgoorlie (Western Australia). We were going to drive back to Perth together...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.