Thursday, August 23, 2007

Who the Prince was that???

I want to do something a little different so I look online for opera, ballet, theatre etc for tonight. Nothing.

I was on the phone to mum so I'm rambling on about wanting to do something. It seems the severe lack of energy I've been suffering is on it's way out. So I get onto Gumtree and do a 'tonight' search in the tickets option. And who should come up?

Prince. He has 21 shows on his 'world' tour and they're all in London. Hmmm. And Mathew is selling a ticket for tonights show. I dump mum off the line and phone Mathew. He says is a fan and this will be his 3rd show this week. I'm guessing he probably is a fan then. He bought this ticket when the sales first went out and then just yesterday he was offered a floor seat. Much better then his original so he has to get rid of the original.

He puts his add on Gumtree and - he says - 3 minutes later I call him and agree to meet him at the O2 centre at 7.30. It was meant to be I think.

I have to admit, I really don't know anything about Prince. He doesn't do interviews so how could I know him? I know a few of his songs from the 80's but don't know anything more recent. I am also wondering was it Prince and Purple Rain that caused the riots in Auckland in the 80's?? Anyone know?

I've never seen the O2 Centre inside before. Formally the Millennium Dome, it of course was another of London's 'let's spend an exorbitant amount on something that will never amount to anything' projects. It's now looking like being a useful and interesting site - now it's under private management of course.

But it is huge and has lots of restaurants, cafes, bars etc. It even has it's own beach...

Prince is a great entertainer, for a small lad he has a big presence. I only recognised a few songs but loved the energy he emitted. He said at one point we should all phone a friend so they could enjoy the show too.

Thanks Mathew for the ticket and I'm really glad I went. Prince is the first big music event I've been to in London... can't really count Tom Jones here can I?? And I'm going to be more spontaneous on my nights off in the future...

No comments: