Saturday, August 25, 2007

You wouldn't read about it - 'til now...

I decided this evening to go to a movie. I'd heard there was a New Zealand film that was on general release. This excited the socks off me so tracked it down to a very local cinema and off I went.

There didn't seem to be a rush for the ticket counter - not that I expected one at 10.45pm, but I did think there may be a few others in this area keen to see a bit of Kiwiana. How wrong could I be.


For the first time in many, many trips to the cinema in this country I was the only audience for a movie. It had happened a few times to me in New Zealand, but I never thought I'd experience it in the UK. The population being a little denser here...!


So I decided on a row near the front and counted in 9 seats - the middle - and sat down to enjoy. And I did enjoy. It's a painful movie in it's subject and the snail pace at which it moves. But the humour in it is fantastic. Lily writes songs to play on her guitar... "You are apples, I am tangerines. We are different fruit from the same tree," just one of the more memorable lyrics.


I wondered if the humour may be a bit too Kiwi for some, but quite frankly, do I look worried? I enjoyed it and would recommend it to those not needing the usual Hollywood action to keep their attention.

No comments: