Wednesday, December 05, 2007

My not so happy bird day

The other day I watched a bird fluttering about in front of a mirror on the patio and the butler mentioned that sometimes they fly into it and stun themselves.

Later that day I found a millipede and was taking photos of it and a bird low dived (I guess to get the millipede) and smacked head first into the window. I picked it up and found it to be suffering so I went looking for the butler wondering if he should put it out of it's misery. I couldn't find him and decided I would try to give the bird some water. It drank a little but I noticed it had a long tongue so thought maybe it was a nectar eating bird. I put a little sugar in the water and the bird drank with great gusto!

I took it back upstairs and sat under a tree while it decided just what it would do. It hopped off my hand onto the side of the pool and a tiny mite of some sort was foolish enough to wander past, the bird ate it - nectar eater? maybe not... But the happy ending came when it flapped it's wings a few time and then flew off.

Later that night I was in the Great Room and I heard another little thud. I searched around and found the most beautiful little Hummingbird! So tiny and so frightened - and so disheveled. I picked it up and was wondering what to do when it flew off up onto a ledge in the room - narrowly missing the fan!

About a half hour later, the butler found me and asked if I would rescue a bird for him... luckily I didn't find him earlier - he doesn't 'do' birds! I asked if it was the Hummingbird and he said yes. I found the poor little thing behind a table and carried it outside this time. It was in a poor way. It's little beak was open and it's eyes were struggling to stay open. I wanted to find it somewhere safe so the local cats wouldn't find it. I sat with it on my hand for quite a while watching it sway, barely managing to hold itself up.

Then suddenly it flapped it's wings a couple of times and disappeared off into the night! I decided it had found itself somewhere safe to hole up for the night...

No comments: