Thursday, March 26, 2009

The day of steps

Phew, today I walked for 8 hours with only a short stop for lunch (earlier post).

After lunch I wandered aimlessly again through lots of beautiful alleys and squares. After a few hours, I found myself at the beginning of the steps leading to the castle.

I never broke a sweat on the climb, simply because every 3 steps I had to stop and take a photo (or 7). The views are stunning!

The castle is not a castle in the Knights in Shining Armour kind of way. It is more of a series of buildings perched on top of a hill that are united and fortified by a surrounding wall.

Each entrance and exit is protected by two guards. I just happened to be hanging around photographing their untidy looking footwear when I heard the tell tale sound of more guards arriving.

The changing of the guards was over in a few seconds without much fuss and the 'old' two were marched off home. Hopefully for a well earned hot bath... although I suspect not. (They were in the path of a very cold wind.)

I didn't go into any buildings as it was getting late in the day, but I could wander through the complex unhindered taking many photos.

I was headed in a direction that I hoped very much had an exit so I wouldn't have to climb all the way back up to the top - I was lucky! I limped down the steps wondering how I was going to make it home with an aching back and very sore foot. At the bottom of the steps I discovered the No22 tram and it's route took me very close to my hotel - again I was very lucky!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great photos - especially the reflection one